Sciatica takes its name from the sciatic nerve and is a medical term used to describe a very specific type of pain that relates to the injury or pinching of the sciatic nerve. A person with sciatica will feel a deep pain that starts at their buttocks and then radiates down to either one of their legs or both of their legs. It is often a symptom of other issues, such as a slipped disc. At New Life Chiropractic, Dr. Tyler M. Richards will identify and treat the root cause of your sciatic nerve pain.
Symptoms of Sciatica
Pain in the lower back and legs is the most common symptom of sciatica, but it is not the only one. Other common symptoms in those who suffer from sciatica include the following:
- Sharp or acute pain accompanied by the feeling of pins and needles, tingling, or numbness
- An increase in symptoms when sitting, sneezing, or coughing
- Pain that is only triggered when bending or similarly moving one's waist and back
- Tenderness and muscle spasms in the lower back
Causes of Sciatica
- Slipped disc: Also called a prolapsed disc or a herniated disc, a slipped disc is more than what the name implies. Intervertebral discs are filled with a gelatinous substance and act as a sort of shock absorber between the bones of the spinal cord. These discs normally move and twist with no issue, but sometimes situations happen when the gelatinous substance within the disc squeezes out of place. This imbalance in the spine creates pressure in certain spots, such as your sciatic nerve, causing sciatica.
- Piriformis syndrome: The piriformis is an important muscle found within the buttocks and close to the sciatic nerve. Piriformis syndrome occurs when this muscle spasms due to injury, overuse, or something else. Those spasms put pressure on the sciatic nerve and thus result in sciatica.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor in Long Branch, NJ
The first thing our team does is to help each client receive some much-needed pain relief. At New Life Chiropractic in Long Branch, NJ, our team of chiropractors treats many patients who suffer from sciatica. It is a painful condition, but also a common one and there are several great treatment options available. Don’t let sciatica control your life, call us today to book your appointment.